The structure was built in 1874 by the will of the City of Crissolo who, following the first ascent to Monviso and with the consequent foundation of the CAI, wanted it as a shelter for foreigners. The first operator was Raimondo Genre and in addition to being able to lodge about 15 people, he used to breed some animals.
In 1909 he became private with the management of Claudio Perotti, Aldo’s grandfather and well-known mountain guide of a great family of Guide del Monviso. The structure over the years has been extended to the current management of Aldo Perotti.
The Rifugio Albergo is still today the best starting point for numerous trips and stop along the most famous Giro del Monviso.